Monday, April 23, 2018

Game Journalism Day 1 -BEGIN (The Long Dark)

This week, we are playing a game called "The Long Dark." This is a survival game. The controls are as followed: You walk with the keys WASD, and look around with the mouse. click F for your inventory and SPACE to find other tools you may need, like campfires and your bed. Click on objects to see what they are and take. The first thing we had to do was start a challenge. The challenge we were supposed to start was: Hopeless rescue.

All you have at the beginning are the clothes on your back and whatever random items you find in your cabin (these are randomly generated).
Once I picked up everything I could, I left my cabin. Not too far away, I found a building with a dead deer inside of it. I gutted it and continued on. I found some rabbits and deer, but I couldn't kill them; I had nothing to attack them with. I then realized that I had a snare and placed it.
I also was able to light a fire in my cabin:
Eventually, I decided to explore a bit around my world, finding sticks, and even a hatchet!
I was running into problems, though. I was getting hungry and thirsty and I had nothing to eat/drink. I later learned that you can melt snow to make water, but then you need to boil it. Not only that, but you have, like a 50% chance of your fire not lighting. I was running low on matches, and FAST. I also ran into the problem of waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to see ANYTHING. I then decided to drink my melted snow, which poisoned me. I later died.
At least I know know to explore more next time and hunt for fire material much sooner. I should be able to do much better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exit Interview

Which assignments did you enjoy and why? I think the shorter question would be " Which DIDN'T you enjoy." I enjoyed everyth...